Last Updated: April 24, 2021
What Personal Data Do We Collect?
We collect Personal Data about you from:
- when you provide such information directly to us, and
- when Personal Data about you is automatically collected in connection with your use of our Service.
- Third parties, both when they provide us with Personal Data about you and when we seek out information for Profiles, as discussed below (“Third Parties”). Third Parties that share your Personal Data with us include:
- Service providers. For example, we may use analytics service providers to analyze how you interact and engage with the Service, or third parties may help us provide you with customer support.
- Advertising partners. We receive information about you from some of our service providers who assist us with marketing or promotional services related to how you interact with our websites, applications, products, services, advertisements or communications.
We also create profiles of people and companies, which we call “Profiles,” from different sources. Once we have collected information (primarily business-related information) about a person or company, we combine multiple mentions of the same person or company into a Profile. Profiles are then made available to users of the Service, and our customers and strategic partners.
When we create or enhance Profiles about individuals, we may collect this information from multiple sources, including:
- Publicly-available web sources that we scan using technology or manual methods.
- User contributions about themselves or other people and companies.
- Research conducted internally by us.
- Other companies and data partners that license information to us.
What Categories of Personal Data We Collect
|Category of Personal Data||Examples||What is the source of this Personal Data?|
|Personal identifiers||Name, email, IP, username, social media profile IDs/links, personal website
Profile data: Name, social profile links, personal website
|Customer records identified by state law (including the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)))||Name, address||You|
|Protected classification characteristics under state or federal law||Gender, race
Optional profile data: Gender, race
|Internet or other similar network activity information||Website & application usage, interaction w/ advertisement, browser/platform/device used, search history||You|
|Geolocation data||IP, location data (city, country, state)||Third Parties|
|Professional or employment-related information||Employment history, use case, role, industry
Profile data: Current & past companies, current & past job titles, biography description, press references, professional investments
|Personal Data a user chooses to enter into a free text field within the Service||Any information that either directly or indirectly identifies, relates to, or describes a particular consumer or household and/or is reasonably capable of being associated with or could reasonably be linked to a particular consumer or household.||You|
The following sections provide additional information about how we collect your Personal Data.
Information You Provide to Us: We receive and store any information you knowingly provide to us.
We may communicate with you if you’ve provided us the means to do so. For example, if you’ve given us your email address, we may send you promotional email offers on behalf of other businesses, or email you about your use of the Service. Also, we may receive a confirmation when you open an email from us, which helps us improve our Service. If you do not want to receive communications from us, please indicate your preference on the Account Information page or contact us at email@example.com.
We use the following types of Cookies:
- Functional Cookies. Functional Cookies are used to record your choices and settings regarding our Service, maintain your preferences over time and recognize you when you return to our Service. These Cookies help us to personalize our content for you, greet you by name, and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Retargeting/Advertising Cookies. Retargeting/Advertising Cookies collect data about your online activity and identify your interests so that we can provide advertising that we believe is relevant to you. For more information about this, please see the section below titled “Information about Interest-Based Advertisements.”
You can decide whether or not to accept Cookies through your internet browser’s settings. Most browsers have an option for turning off the Cookie feature, which will prevent your browser from accepting new Cookies, as well as (depending on the sophistication of your browser software) allow you to decide on acceptance of each new Cookie in a variety of ways. You can also delete all Cookies that are already on your computer. If you do this, however, you may have to manually adjust some preferences every time you visit a site, and this may cause some services and functionalities to not work.
To explore what Cookie settings are available to you, look in the “preferences” or “options” section of your browser’s menu. To find out more information about Cookies, including information about how to manage and delete Cookies, please visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org/.
Information about Interest-Based Advertisements: We may serve advertisements, and also allow third-party ad networks, including third-party ad servers, ad agencies, ad technology vendors and research firms, to serve advertisements through the Service. These advertisements may be targeted to users who fit certain general profile categories or display certain preferences or behaviors (“Interest-Based Ads”). Information for Internet-Based Ads (including Personal Data) may be provided to us by you, or derived from the usage patterns of particular users on the Service and/or services of third-parties. Such information may be gathered through tracking users’ activities across time and unaffiliated properties, including when you leave the Service. To accomplish this, we or our service providers may deliver Cookies, including a file (known as a “web beacon”) from an ad network to you through the Service. Web beacons allow ad networks to provide anonymized, aggregated auditing, research and reporting for us and for advertisers. Web beacons also enable ad networks to serve targeted advertisements to you when you visit other websites. Web beacons allow ad networks to view, edit or set their own Cookies on your browser, just as if you had requested a web page from their site.
Several media and marketing associations have developed an industry self-regulatory program to give consumers a better understanding of, and greater control over, ads that are customized based on a consumer’s online behavior across different websites and properties. To make choices about Interest-Based Ads from participating third parties, including to opt-out of receiving behaviorally targeted advertisements from participating organizations, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance or Network Advertising Initiative consumer opt-out pages, which are located at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ or http://www.aboutads.info/choices. Users in the European Union should visit the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance’s user information website https://www.youronlinechoices.eu/.
How We Use Your Personal Data
We process Personal Data to operate, improve, understand and personalize our Service. We use Personal Data for the following purposes:
- To meet or fulfill the reason you provided the information to us.
- To communicate with you about the Service, including Service announcements, updates or offers.
- To provide support and assistance for the Service.
- To create and manage your Account or other user profiles.
- To personalize your experience, website content and communications based on your preferences, including targeted offers and ads served through the Service.
- To process orders or other transactions.
- To respond to user inquiries and fulfill user requests.
- To market, improve, and develop the Service, including testing, research, analysis, and product development (including creation and enhancement of Profiles).
- To protect against or deter fraudulent, illegal or harmful actions and maintain the safety, security and integrity of our Service.
- To comply with our legal or contractual obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our Terms of Service.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
- For any other business purpose stated when collecting your Personal Data or as otherwise set forth in applicable data privacy laws, such as the California Consumer Privacy Act (the “CCPA”).
We will not collect additional categories of Personal Data or use the Personal Data we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
As noted in the list above, we may communicate with you if you’ve provided us the means to do so. For example, if you’ve given us your email address, we may send you promotional email offers on behalf of other businesses or email you about your use of the Service. Also, we may receive a confirmation when you open an email from us, which helps us improve our Service. If you do not want to receive communications from us, please indicate your preference on the Account Information page or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How We Share Your Personal Data
Disclosures of Personal Data for a Business Purpose
We disclose your Personal Data to service providers and other parties for the following business purposes:
- Performing services on our behalf, including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying customer information, processing payments, providing advertising or marketing services, providing analytic services, or providing similar services on behalf of the business or service provider.
- Auditing related to a current interaction and concurrent transactions, including, but not limited to, counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions, and auditing compliance with this specification and other standards.
- Detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity.
- Debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Short-term, transient use of Personal Data that is not used by another party to build a consumer profile or otherwise alter your consumer experience outside the current interaction.
- Undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration.
- Undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of a service or device that we own, manufacture, was manufactured for us, or we control.
We disclose your Personal Data to the following categories of service providers and other parties:
- Service providers, including:
- Subscription management providers
- Security and fraud prevention consultants
- Hosting and other technology and communications providers
- Analytics providers
- Customer relationship management and customer support providers
- Ad networks
- Parties who acquire your Personal Data through an acquisition or other change of control. o Personal Data may be transferred to a third party if we undergo a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy or other transaction in which that third party assumes control of our business (in whole or in part)
- Other parties at your direction.
- Other users (where you post information publicly or as otherwise necessary to effect a transaction initiated or authorized by you through the Service)
- Social media services (if you intentionally interact with them through your use of the Service)
- Third-party business partners who you access through the Service
- Other parties authorized by you
- Business partners
In some cases, we may disclose information about your use of the Service to your employer or other users within your organization Over the past twelve months, we have disclosed the following categories of your Personal Data to service providers or other parties for the business purposes listed above:
- A. Personal identifiers.
- B. Customer records identified by state law.
- C. Protected classification characteristics under state or federal law.
- D. Internet or other similar network activity information.
- E. Geolocation data.
- F. Professional or employment-related information.
- G. Personal Data a user chooses to enter into a free text field within the Service.
Sales of Personal Data
We collect information from a variety of sources (including information contributed directly by you and/or our user community) in order to compile Profiles about entities and individuals. Please refer to the chart above titled “Categories of Personal Data We Collect” for a better understanding of the Personal Data we collect that constitutes Profile data. In this section, we use the term ‘sell’ as it is defined in the CCPA. We sell your Profile data to our customers and data partners (such as resellers and syndication partners), subject to your right to opt-out of these sales (see the “Your Rights” section below for information about how to opt-out).
We may also share your information with advertisers in order to help provide our ads to you. The CCPA considers this a “sale” and, because of this, we are required to disclose these types of transfers as “sales” of personal information. However, we do not sell this information for monetary consideration. This type of sharing is also subject to your right to opt out of these sales (see the “Your Rights” section below for information about how to opt-out).
Over the past twelve months, we have sold the following categories of your Personal Data to third parties:
- A. Personal identifiers.
- C. Protected classification characteristics under state or federal law.
- F. Professional or employment-related information.
Data Security and Retention
We seek to protect your Personal Data from unauthorized access, use and disclosure using appropriate physical, technical, organizational and administrative security measures based on the type of Personal Data and how we are processing that data, including but not limited to:
- Our website uses SSL (https).
- Access to production data requires VPN access which is restricted to only the people that need it.
- We perform third-party penetration testing.
You should also help protect your data by appropriately selecting and protecting your password and/or other sign-on mechanism; limiting access to your computer or device and browser; and signing off after you have finished accessing your account. Although we work to protect the privacy of your account and other Personal Data that we hold in our records, no security system is impenetrable, and unanticipated system failures or the efforts of malicious actors are an unfortunate reality on the Internet. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that Personal Data during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our systems or otherwise in our care will be absolutely safe from intrusion by others.
We retain Personal Data about you for as long as you have an open account with us or as otherwise necessary to provide the Service. In some cases we retain Personal Data for longer, if doing so is necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes or collect fees owed, or is otherwise permitted or required by applicable law, rule or regulation. Afterwards, we retain some information in a depersonalized or aggregated form but not in a way that would identify you personally.
Personal Data of Children
As noted in the Terms of Service, we do not knowingly collect or solicit Personal Data from children under 16. If you are a child under 16, please do not attempt to register for or otherwise use the Service or send us any Personal Data. If we learn we have collected Personal Data from a child under 16, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that a child under 16 may have provided us Personal Data, please contact us at email@example.com.
California Resident Rights
You have the right to request more information about the Personal Data we hold about you and request a copy of such Personal Data by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
You have the right to request that we delete the Personal Data that we have collected from you. Under the CCPA, this right is subject to certain exceptions: for example, we may need to retain your Personal Data to provide you with the Service or complete a transaction or other action you have requested. If your deletion request is subject to one of these exceptions, we may deny your deletion request.
Exercising Your Rights
To exercise the rights described above, you must send us a request that (1) provides sufficient information to allow us to verify that you are the person about whom we have collected Personal Data, and (2) describes your request in sufficient detail to allow us to understand, evaluate, and respond to it. Each request that meets both of these criteria will be considered a “Valid Request.” We may not respond to requests that do not meet these criteria. We will only use Personal Data provided in a Valid Request to verify you and complete your request. You do not need an account to submit a Valid Request.
We will work to respond to your Valid Request within 45 days of receipt. We will not charge you a fee for making a Valid Request unless your Valid Request(s) is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that your Valid Request warrants a fee, we will notify you of the fee and explain that decision before completing your request.
You may submit a Valid Request using the following methods:
- Emailing us at: email@example.com.
Personal Data Sales Opt-Out and Opt-In
You have the right to opt-out of the sale of your Personal Data. To do so, send an e-mail to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you have submitted an opt-out request, we will not ask you to reauthorize the sale of your Personal Data for at least 12 months. However, you may change your mind and opt back in to Personal Data sales at any time by creating a new public profile for yourself.
We Will Not Discriminate Against You for Exercising Your Rights Under the CCPA
We will not discriminate against you for exercising your rights under the CCPA. We will not deny you our goods or services, charge you different prices or rates, or provide you a lower quality of goods and services if you exercise your rights under the CCPA. However, we may have different tiers of services as allowed by applicable data protection laws (including the CCPA) with varying prices, rates, or levels of quality of the goods or services you receive related to the value of Personal Data that we receive from you.
Nevada Resident Rights
If you are a resident of Nevada, you have the right to opt-out of the sale of certain Personal Data to third parties who intend to license or sell that Personal Data. You can exercise this right by contacting us at email@example.com with the subject line “Nevada Do Not Sell Request” and providing us with your name and the email address associated with your account.